- 2 Cups Marsala
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 1/2 Cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese (Italian cream cheese..can substitute 1 pound
- cream cheese mixed with 6 tablespoons whipping cream and 1/4 Cup sour
- cream. Use 2 Cups for recipe.)
- 3 3-oz packages soft ladyfingers, split in half
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Whisk 1 1/2 cups Marsala, 3/4 cup sugar and yolks in large metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Using portable electric mixer, beat mixture until candy thermometer registers 160 degrees F, about 15 minutes. Remove bowl from over water. Set mixture (zabaglione) aside.
Combine hot water and espresso powder in large bowl; stir to disolve. Add mascarpone cheese and remaining 3/4 cup sugar and beat to blend.
Cover bottom of 9x13x2 inch glass baking dish with single layer of ladyfingers, flat side up. Brush 1/4 cup Marsala over. Spread 2 cups mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers. Top with 2 1/2 cups zabalione. Arange another layer of ladyfingers over zabaglione, flat side up. Brush with 1/4 cup Marsala. Spread remaining mascarpone mixture over. Cover with remaining zabaglione. Sift cocoa over. Cover and chill at least 6 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead.)
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Sandy Zion