This heavenly cake melts in your mouth and is doubly rich with cocoa and chocolate chips.
- > cup cake flour
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 11/4 cups egg whites -- at room temperature (approximately 8 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 11/2 cups superfine sugar
- 11/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven; set to convection at 325F.
Sift flour and cocoa together 4 to 5 times until cocoa is completely incorporated. Stir in pepper and set aside. In a larger mixer bowl, beat egg whites and salt together for a few seconds, then add cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in sugar 1/4 cup at a time; fold in vanilla. Fold in flour/cocoa mixture 1/4 cup at a time; fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch angel food cake pan. Cook in convection oven at 325F for 28 to 30 minutes. Immediately invert cake over a funnel or glass bottle. Cool completely before removing from pan.
For traditional (non-convection) baking:
Preheat and bake setting: 350:F Time: 28 to 30 minutes
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Angel
Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Angel Food Cake