To serve in pastry shells, bake 8 puff pastry shells, and keep warm. Divide chicken evenly among 8 pastry shells and serve immediately. Garnish with chopped scallions.
- 2 chickens, cut up, together weighing 5 pounds
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sherry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups light cream (half and half)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced, sautied in 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- small bits of butter
1. Cook the chicken in stock until tender, about 40 minutes. Cool and remove meat from bones; cut into small pieces. Place the chicken in a bowl and cover with sherry. Let marinate for 1 hour, turning chicken frequently. Drain off sherry.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet, add flour, and cook roux for 2 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and slowly add cream, stirring constantly. Add the parsley, pepper, and grated onion. Cook, stirring until sauce thickens.
3. Prepare mushrooms and add salt to taste. Add the mushrooms and the chicken to the sauce, and correct the seasoning. Let mixture cool, then chill it.
4. Pour chilled mixture into a large, buttered ovenproof casserole, sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with bits of butter.
5. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 35 minutes, or until chicken is hot and crumbs are browned.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Marlen