You will find zillions of venison recipes at this site. http://www.alljerky.com/wwwboard/messages/58.html
- a leg of venison about 4 pounds
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium onions
- 3 shallots
- 2 medium carrots
- salt, pepper
- parsley, laurel, thyme
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 bottle of strong Bourgogne wine
- VENISON SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup of the juice of the marinade
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 sugar cube
- 1 teaspoon of cranberry jam
A. MAKE THE MARINADE:
1. Coarsely chop the onions, carrots, shallots.
2. In a large pan, heat the oil, add the chopped vegetables. Stir in the herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes until very lightly browned.
3. Add the vinegar and water. Bring to a boil and cook over moderate heat for 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Pour in the wine and let cool down (the wine does not cook).
B. VENISON IN MARINADE. Pour the marinade over the venison and refrigerate during 24 hours, turning occasionally. Take the meat out and reserve the juice in a bowl.
C. COOK THE VENISON. Pat the venison dry with paper towels. Cook in hot oven 400F about 15 minutes. Turn the venison, add 1/2 cup of water and cook about 15 minutes more.
D. MAKE THE SAUCE:
1. Discard the garlic and herbs in the marinade juice.
2. In a blender, purie the juice and vegetables until smooth.
3. In a saucepan, warm up the butter and flour stirring all the time and quickly add the marinade juice. The sauce begins to thicken. Add a dot of tomato paste for colour. Stir in sugar and cranberry jam.
F. SERVE the meat with venison sauce and cranberries.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Marlen