- 3 large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 pounds total), split and trimmed
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 6 cups unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups Italian tomato sauce, warmed
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1. Using a meat tenderizer or a heavy skillet, pound the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap until flat, about a 1/4 inch in thickness. Place the milk, flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow baking dishes. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt. Dip each breast in the following order; milk, flour (shake off excess), eggs, and bread crumbs (press down firmly while coating with bread crumbs).
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat until sizzling. Arrange the chicken breasts in the pan without crowding, cooking in batches if necessary. Reduce the heat, and cook the chicken until golden brown and the juices run clear when poked with a sharp fork, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove to a baking sheet lined with paper towels; pat off excess oil.
3. Place 1/2 cup of the warm tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish. Add 3 of the cooked breasts to the baking dish; cover with 1/2 cup of the warm tomato sauce and half the sliced mozzarella. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts and sauce, and top with mozzarella. Transfer to broiler and broil until the cheese is melted and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Marlen