- 1/2 cup dried, small white navy beans
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 small celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1"
- 1/4 pound dried penne or small elbow pasta
- 3 cups loosely packed Swiss chard leaves, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Rinse the beans well and place in a bowl of water and let soak for 3 hours. Drain and place in a saucepan with wter to cover by 2", and bring to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Drain the liquid and set the beans aside.
In a large soup pot over medium-low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook uncovered until the vegetables are soft --- stir occasionlly. Add the tomatoes, stock, water and white beans and continue to cook, about 45 minutes.
About 15 minutes before the 45 minutes are up, add the green beans and pasta. Cover and simmer until the pasta is al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Add the chard and cook until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper. Ladle the soup in to warm bowls and place a spoonful of the pesto on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Marlen
Summer Vegetable Soup