You can also use crawish tails in place of the shrimp for Crawfish Etouffee.
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen medium raw shrimp (in shells)
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 2 tblsp. all purpose flour
- 1 med. onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 tblsp. snipped parsley
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. red pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
Peel shrimp. If shrimp are frozen, do not thaw; peel under cold running water. Make a shallow cut lengthwise down back of each shrimp; wash out sand vein. Heat margarine or butter in 3 qt. saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly and brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in onion, green pepper, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp, water, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and pepper sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes.
Serve over rice.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Teresa Johnson