- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 butternut squash (1 1/3 pounds) -- quartered, peeled, seeded and sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh ricotta or small curd cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Generously oil a 2-quart earthenware dish.
2. In a small bowl, combine the garlic with the parsley, mint, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the squash, Pecorino, tomato sauce, ricotta and half of the garlic-herb mixture. In another bowl, combine the potatoes with the remaining garlic-herb mixture.
3. Spread half of the potatoes in the prepared gratin dish in an even layer. Cover with the squash and then top with the remaining potatoes. Pour the milk over the potatoes, sprinkle with the bread crumbs and drizzle with the olive oil.
4. Bake the gratin for about 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender and the liquid is bubbling. Raise the heat to 400 and bake for 30 minutes longer, until the top is deep golden and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Let the gratin rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Teresa Johnson
Squash and Potato Gratin