This salad travels well if you don't add the rice sticks and sesame oil/hoisin sauce till the last minute.
- 1 whole roasting chicken(3#+/-)
- 1/2 Cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1Tbsp fresh gingerroot minced
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp sugar
- 1 1/2tsp five-spice powder
- 1 stalk green onion, cut in 1" pieces
- 1head iceberg lettuce
- 2 stalks green onion finely shredded
- 1 bunch chinese parsley(coriander)
- 1/4Cup sesame seed(browned in fry pan without oil)
- 1tsp sesame seed oil
- 2Cups deep fried rice sticks
- 1/2Cup chopped cocktail peanuts(no skin)
- 1Tbsp Colemans hot mustard(this is powder so you must mix with a little water)
- 1/2tsp salt
- 2Tbsp Hoisin sauce
Wash and dry chicken. Mix together soy sauce, garlic, ginger,salt, sugar, five-spice and green onions. Rub into chicken, inside and out. Marinate for 1 hour. Place on a shallow roasting pan, breast down, and roast at 350 degree for 30 minutes.Turn chicken over and roast for another 15 minutes. Cool and shred for salad.
Mix shredded chicken(you may use skin too if you wish) with the hot mustard and sesame seeds, set aside. Shred lettuce as fine as you like, mix with finely shredded green onions. Remove the stems from the coriander leaving leaves whole. Deep fry rice sticks(rice sticks are packaged in layers like shredded wheat)in at least 3" of peanut oil, they will puff up to 4 or 5 times the original size. Be sure to have tongs and LOTS of newspaper to drain them on(these can be done ahead of time but are very fragile)Fry them 1 layer at a time.IF top layer doesn't seem to puff be sure and turn over in oil. Mix together in LARGE bowl, lettuce, green onions, coriander, rice sticks, and peanuts. Add salt to taste. Toss salad with 1tsp sesame oil and 2Tbsp Hoisin sauce(you may need a little bit more hoisin). Serve with a nice white wine.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Ina DiPalma
Coriander Chicken Salad