I have done this soup using cooked ground beef and red and green peppers.
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 4 anaheim or poblano chilis pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (frozen)
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 (14 1/2-oz) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups coarssely shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cups snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups coarsely crushed corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Additionnal corn chips
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
In a large pot cook chopped onions, garlic, peppers and cumin seed in hot oil about 5 minutes or till tender, stirring constantly. Add corn, tomatoes, chicken broth chicken and the snipped cilantro. Bring the mixture to boiling: reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
To serve, divide crushed torltilla chips among 6 soup bowls.
Ladle soup atop chips. Garnish each bowl of soup with shredded cheese, extra tortilla chips, lime wedge and fresh cilantro. If desired. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Print this recipe
Source: my files ( better homes and garden magazine, I think
Submitted By: Nicole Godby