- 1 cup rice
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 2 - 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 Tbsp. pasill or New Mexico chili powder
- 2 peeled, seeded and finely chopped tomatoes (I leave these out)
- 1/4 cup shelled peas (I leave these out)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped pimiento
- 1/3 cup peanut oil
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook the rice until it is golden, about 10 minutes. Drain oil from the rice. Add the onion, garlic, cumin and chili powder and saute, continually stirring, for about two minutes. Add the chicken broth, peas(optional), pimento, and tomatoes (optional). Cook the mixture, covered, until all the liquid is absorbed.
I was looking for a recipe more "Mexican" than "Spanish"...
this is a great recipe... like going to a Mexican restaurant.
Print this recipe
Source: Taquera Tech by Allen Strange
Submitted By: Veronica Reynolds
Arroz a la Mexicana