Tortilla chips, salsa and guacamole are great accompaniments. Also very good with corn bread.
- 1 lb. white beans, soaked overnight in cold water
- 8-10 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 4-ounce cans green chopped green chiles
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. red cayenne pepper
- 4 cups cooked chicken or turkey breast, diced
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese
- sour cream (optional)
Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic and one onion in big soup pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer until onions are very soft (usually about three hours or more). Add more broth, if necessary. Saute remaining onion in oil until tender. Add green chiles and seasonings to onion and oil; mix thoroughly. Add mixture to beans. Add chicken/turkey, mix well, and continue to cook for one hour. Serve with grated monterey jack cheese and sour cream on top.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Toni M.