- 2 1/2 pounds escarole or Swiss Chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 can (16 or 19 oz.) cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz.) whole tomatoes in juice
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 ounces Asiago or provolone cheese
Combine escarole and 1/4 cup water in large Dutch oven; tightly pack leaves and cover. Cook over medium heat until volume is reduced by half. Drain in colander, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid in cup.
Partially freeze sausage and slice before browning. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add sausage and cook, turning frequently, 4 minutes or until browned. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in beans and tomatoes with juice, breaking up the tomatoes. Bring to boil. Cook 3 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in escarole with reserved cooking liquid, potatoes and red pepper. Cover and cook 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Stir cheese into minestra; remove from heat and let stand until cheese is partially melted, about 5 minutes. Ladle into 6 large bowls.
Print this recipe
Source: Ladies Home Journal
Submitted By: Joy Bowers