You can also add zucchini, eggplant, bamboo shoots or green peas if you like, at the same time you add the mushrooms. Bon Appetit...
- 3 cups coconut Milk
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 2 Tbls. fish sauce
- 2 Tbls. chopped coriander roots
- 8 pieces dried galangal
- 1 tsp. finely sliced lemon grass bulb
- 1 Tbls. sliced lemon grass stalk cut in 2.5 cm pieces
- 8 dried Kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1.5 kg chicken pieces, chopped into 5 cm pieces with bones
- 3 tsp. roasted chili paste or 1 tsp. fresh chopped or dried chili
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice
- 100g whole button mushrooms, fresh or canned
- chopped coriander to garnish
Put coconut milk, water, fish sauce, coriander root, galangal, lemon grass, lime leaves and pepper in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, add chicken and simmer for about 20 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
Add roasted chili paste, sugar and lemon juice, simmer for another minute and taste to see if extra fish sauce, sugar, lemon juice or chili paste is needed. When chicken is tender, add mushrooms and cook 3 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.
Print this recipe
Source: Thai Cooking Class
Submitted By: Eileen Werth
Chicken and Coconut milk Casserole