Variations: You can use sweet red,yellow,or green peppers or tiny green beans in place of the carrots. You can use scallions(cut in thin strips) or chives(cut in 3-inch lengths) in place of the leeks. You can use basil,coriander,thyme,or parsley in place of the dill. This recipe sort of says it all. Hope it works for you. Enjoy..
- Choose butterflied fish such as:baby coho salmon,rainbow or brook trout,or fillets such as:blackfish, black sea bass, bluefish, gray sole, mackerel, ocean pearch, perch, pompano,red snapper, scrod, cod, shad, sheepshead, sole, tilapia, tilefish, weakfish (sea trout) whitefish or shellfish such as:butterflied shrimp or sea scallops.
- 1 T. unsalted butter or margarine,melted
- 2 T. coarsely grated carrot
- 1 small leek with some of the of the green leaves cut off,finely sliced in thin julienne strips 3 inches long
- 1/2 celery stalk,finely sliced in thin julienne strips 3 inches long
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 8 to 10 ounces butterflied fish or 6 to 8 ounces fish fillet with skin on or off and pin bones removed,or 4 to 6 ounces butterflied shrimp (16 to 20 per pound) or 4 to 6 ounces sea scallops, small tough muscle removed,cut in 1/2 inch-thick-wafers
- 1 T. chopped fresh or 1 t. dried dill
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 egg white
Preheat the oven to 400*F.
Fold the parchment paper in half. Draw a heart shape,beginning at the fold and going out to the edge. Use scissors to cut it out. Unfold the paper. If you are using a microwave oven,cut the heart shape small enough to fit inside the oven.
Rub a little melted butter or margarine over one half of the paper heart. Mix the vegetables together and place three quarters of the mixture on the buttered side of the heart.
Pour a little butter over the mixture on the heart and add salt and pepper to taste.
If you are using a butterflied fish,spread it open,cut off the head and the tail,and then cross cut it three places,making four slices. If you are using a fish fillet,do the same:cut across it in three places making four slices.
Place the fish slices skin side down,or the shrimp or scallops on top of the mixed vegetables on the heart.
Place the rest of the vegetables on the fish,then sprinkle the fish with the rest of the butter,the dill weed,and the lemon juice.
Brush the empty half of the paper heart with egg white and also all around the edges. Fold the paper over and crimp the edges together well. Fold the edges over twice,ending with a twist at the bottom of the heart.
If you are using a conventional oven,place package on a baking sheet and bake 20 minutes. If you are using a microwave oven,put the package on a plate and microwave for 10 to 12 minutes on high.(Here you have to be precise about the time,for there is no way to tell whether all is cooked until you open the package.)
After the cooking time recommended,when the paper is nicely puffed up and starting to brown,remove the package from the oven and transfer it to a warm serving plate.
You will need sharp pointed scissors to pierce the package,then cut around the edge.
Print this recipe
Source: Basic Fish Cooking
Submitted By: Eileen Werth
Oven-Steamed Seafood en Papillote