- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 lb. veal cutlets,pounded thin
- 2 c. seasoned(Italian)fine,dried bread crumbs
- 1 c. olive oil
- 1 eggplant,cut lengthwise in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 can (32 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/4 lb. proscuitto,trimmed of fat and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese,shredded
Preheat the oven to 350*F.
In a shallow bowl,beat together the egg and milk. Dip each veal cutlet in the mixture and then dredge in the bread crumbs.
Heat 1/4 c. of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry each cutlet until golden,about 3 min. per side. Drain the cutlets on paper towels.
Wipe out the skillet. Place it over medium high heat and add 1/4 c. fresh olive oil. Add the eggplant slices and fry for about 3 min. on each side,adding additional olive oil,as needed. Drain the eggplant on paper towels.
Cover the bottom of two 13X9-inch baking pans with a 1/4 in. of the tomato sauce. Lay the cutlets in the pans. Top each cutlet with a slice of eggplant and a slice of proscuitto. Pour in the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the parsley and mozzarella. Bake until the mozzarella has melted and is golden,30 min.
Print this recipe
Source: Fireman Frank Gambino
Submitted By: Eileen Werth