- 1 chicken,about 3 pounds,or 1 pound stewing meat,veal,lamb or beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 onions,thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves,crushed
- 1/3 cup oil or butter
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves or 1/2 cup dried leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or 1/4 cup dried mint
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups pomegranate juice or 1/2 cup pomegranate paste,dissolved in 1 cup water
- 2 Tbs rice flour(ground rice) dissolved in 1 1/2 cups of water for chicken or 2 1/2 cups for meat
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 Tbs sugar (if using pomegranate paste that is too sour)
Cut chicken into 6 pieces,rinse and drain
In a dutch oven,brown onions and garlic in 3 Tbs of oil or butter. Add the chopped herbs,salt,pepper,cinnamon and walnuts.Pour in Pomegranate juice or diluted paste.
Add dissolved rice flour and stir in. Cover and simmer 20 minutes over low heat,stirring occasionally.
In a skillet,brown chicken pieces or meat in remaining oil or butter. Add to Dutch oven. Cover and simmer over low heat 1 hour for chicken,1 1/2 hours for meat.
Check to see that chicken or meat is done;taste sauce and correct seasoning. Stir in eggs.
Transfer stew to deep casserole dish,cover and place in warm oven until serving time. Serve with chelo (plain steamed rice)
Print this recipe
Source: Sam Adilis File
Submitted By: Eileen Werth
Khoresh-e Anar Avij- Pomegranate and Herb Stew