Sopes are little fried masa cups filled with beans and garnishes.
- FOR THE FRIJOLES CON CHORIZO:
- 1 c. dried pinto beans, sorted, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- Hot water
- 1/2 smal onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 lb. chorizo, casings removed, browned and crumbled
- Place soaked beans in a large saucepan. Cover with hot water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and add onion and garlic.
- Simmer with the lid ajar for 2 hours. Add salt to taste and simmer 2 to 4 hours longer or until beans are very tender.
- Add drained beans to chorizo.
- Add a little cooking liquid.
- With a potato masher, mash beans and meat together.
- Continue cooking to desired consistency.
- FOR THE SALSA MEXICANA:
- 2 samll tomatoes (about 1/2 lb.), peeled, and chopped
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 c. cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/3 c. chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients.
- Set aside to be served at room temperature. Makes 1 1/4 cups.
- THE OTHER INGREDIENTS:
- Your favorite guacamole
- 1 1/ c. instant masa
- 3/4 c. water
- Oil for frying
- 8 oz.(about 2 c.) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- Sour cream
Mix masa with the water. Add a little more water if needed to make a smooth dough.
Line the bottom of a tortilla press with plastic wrap. Preheat an ungreased griddle over medium-high heat.
Shape dough into 16 to 18 balls about 1 inch in diameter or slightly larger.
Place 1 ball at a time in the press.
Cover with more plastic wrap, press with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly, close press firmly and then open. The tortilla should be about 3 1/2" in diameter.
Cook tortillas one at a time on hot griddle 10 seconds on each side; do not overcook.
Remove from griddle and immediately fold up edges, pressing and pinching to form a frim rim 1/2 high.
Use cloth towel if tortilla is too hot.
Return to giddle and cook the bottom 1 minute.
Just before serving, pour oil 1/4 inch deep in a medium skillet.
Heat to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
Fry each sope until lightly browned and crisp.
Drain on paper towels.
Fill with a spoonful of hot Frijoles con Chorizo.
Add some of the cheese, lettuce and radish slices.
Top with a spoonful of Salsa Mexicana, a spoonful of guacamole and a little sour cream.
Print this recipe
Source: MEXICAN COOKERY by Barbara Hansen
Submitted By: Carolina