- 4 oz. bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2-3 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups peeled fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh, canned or frozen
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Tamale Crust - however crushed taco chips are good. I did the cornmeal and didn't like it.
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups masa harina or cornmeal
- 6 tbs. margarine/shortening
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cook bacon in large skillet. Pour off all fat but 1-2 tbs. Saute' onion in bacon grease 5 minutes. Add beef, chili powder, salt - cook 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes more breaking tomatoes with spoon. Add olives, corn, sour cream, and mix well. Transfer to a 15 inch baking dish. Set aside.
Crust: Bring stock to a boil, season with salt & pepper, if necessary. Combine cornmeal, margarine, baking powder and milk. Process until combined. Gradually add hot stock until a smooth, thick batter is obtained. If the batter is too thick to spread, add more hot stock or water, a little at a time. Bake until the top is just browned - about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake again for 10-15 minutes.
Print this recipe
Source: Best of America Trad. Regional Recipes
Submitted By: Rosemarie Coogan