start 2 hours ahead. The drink will keep in refrigerator for up to 5 days
- 8 ounces(about 8 large) fresh tamarind pods
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus a little more if necessary
1. Cleaning the pods: Hold the pod in one hand,loosen the stem from the other, then firmly pull out the stem, along with the runners that trail down between the shell and pulp. Peel off the shells.
2. Boiling: bring 1 quart of water to a boil, add the tamarind pods and sugar, then boil 1 minute.Pour into a non corrosive container.
3. steeping: let stand 2 hours (really fresh pods wil be comlpletely soft in about one hour, old ones may require 21/2 hours or more). Using your hand ot the baclk of awooden spoon, break up the softened pods to free the pulp and seeds; knead the fibrous materail carefully to free all the pulp.
4.Finishing the drink: Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing hard on the seeds and the fibers to extract as mush of the essence as possible. Adjust the sweetnest to suit your taste, then cover and refrigerate until serving. Stir before pouring.
Print this recipe
Source: AUthentic Mexican (Rick and Deannn Bayless
Submitted By: Nicole G
Agua de Tamarindo