This took some searching, but I found it!
- (Plaintains with Pork Rinds)
- 3 green plaintains
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb. Crisp fried pork rinds
- 4 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional: fried bacon, lard or vegetable oil
1. Peel plaintains. Cut into one inch slices. Soak for 15 minutes in salt and water. Drain well.
2. Heat fat or oil(350 degrees if you are using a deep fryer). Add plaintain slices and fry for 15 minutes but do not brown. Drain on paper towel.
3. In a mortar(for pounding), crush garlic cloves and sprinkle with salt, add olive oil to the mixture and keep pounding.
4. Crush a portion of the fried plaintains slices and the pork. Add some of the garlic and olive oil mixture and keep pounding.
5. Spoon the mixture and shape into two inch balls. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you use all the ingredients.
6.Place in oven pan and keep warm until you are ready to serve.
Suggestions: Prepare chicken broth and pour over mofongo, so it will be juicy. Enjoy
Print this recipe
Source: Sec.Conference on Ed.Tech.-Veg.
Submitted By: Linda Wilson
Puerto Rico Mofongo