Szechuan Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Ingredients:1 Tbsp peanut oil (or other vegetable oil)
1 garlic clove
1 tsp ginger root (aboutr 2 slices)
1/2 cup boneless pork loin, shredded
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1/2 cup bamboo shoots, shredded
6 dried shiitake mushrooms
10 dried lily buds (also called golden needles)
12 dried tree ear fungus (also called cloud ears)
4 cups chicken broth (canned or homemade)
1 Tbsp dry sherry
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 tofu pad (a package generally contains 2 pads)
1/4 cup green onions
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/4-1 tsp chili oil
1/4 tsp white pepper
salt and more pepper
Directions:(1) Rehydrate the dried ingredients (15 minutes: in lukewarm water for the shiitakes, and in boiling water for the lily buds and tree ears). Heat the chicken broth (if it's canned, prepare it).
(2) Mince the garlic and ginger root and combine them. Shred the pork loin. Shred the bamboo shoots. Combine the cornstarch and the water. Chop the green onions. Lightly beat the eggs.
(3) Heat oil in wok (medium), add the garlic and ginger, stirring 30 seconds.
(4) Add the pork, cooking until it loses its pink color.
(5) Add the soy sauce, cook for 1 minute more.
(6) Add bamboo shoots, shiitakes, lily buds, tree ear fungi, stir quickly for 1 minute.
(7) Stir in chicken broth, sherry, and vinegar.
(8) Stir cornstarch/water mix one last time and add it to the soup.
(9) Add the tofu and bring the soup to a boil.
(10) Turn the heat to low, add the green onions.
(11) Add the beaten eggs in a slow stream, stirring several times.
(12) Turn off the heat and add the sesame oil, chili oil, white pepper. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Copyright © 2007 Epicurean.com
All rights reserved