Groundnut Stew Recipe
Ingredients:What you need
* one or two sweet potatoes, or a similar amount of yams, peeled and cut into cubes (optional)
* peanut oil (or other cooking oil)
* one or two chickens, cut into large bite-sized pieces (you can also use equal parts chicken and beef or stew meat)
* salt (to taste)
* black pepper (to taste)
* chicken broth or stock (optional)
* two or three tomatoes, chopped (or canned tomaoes, or tomato sauce or tomato paste)
* one or two onions, chopped very fine
* one clove garlic, minced (optional)
* one or two hot chile peppers, chopped (optional)
* one-half teaspoon ground ginger or coriander
* pinch of thyme or a bay leaf
* one-quarter cup dried shrimp or dried prawns (optional)
* one medium eggplant (aubergine, or guinea squash) or a dozen okra, or canned beans, or canned corn (optional)
* sweet green pepper (or bell pepper), chopped (optional)
* squash, chopped (optional)
* one cup peanut butter (preferably natural and unsweetened) -- or make your own peanut paste by roasting peanuts, removing the shells and skins, and grinding, mashing, or mincing them, then simmer them in a saucepan with a cup of water
Directions:What you do
* If using sweet potatoes or yams:
Boil or steam them until they begin to become tender.
* In a large pot or dutch oven fry the meat in hot oil, until browned. Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat, add a cup of water or chicken broth and simmer.
* Heat oil in a skillet. Fry the tomatoes, onions, garlic, chile peppers over high heat. Add spices. Add the optional vegetables, sweet potatoes or yams, and/or dried shrimp or prawns. Reduce heat and stir in peanut butter and a bit of water or broth. Stir until smooth.
* Add the tomato-onion-peanut mixture to the simmering meat. Stir throughly and continue to simmer until the meat is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
* Serve with boiled Rice and as many garnishes as possible:
o hard-boiled eggs, peeled (everyone must have a hard-boiled egg); these are sometimes added to the pot and cooked with the stew a few minutes before serving
o sliced boiled yam or sweet potato
o breadcrumbs or croutons
o sliced fruit: such as banana, mango, orange, papaya, pineapple, etc.
o shredded lettuce
o chopped nuts
o shredded coconut
o sliced tomato
o sliced onion: raw or fried
o chile peppers
o African Hot Sauce
o salt, black pepper, red pepper
* Serve Ginger Beer or Green Tea with Mint with or after the meal.
* Follow with Fruit Salad.
This dish also can be made without the meat. Use sweet potatoes and as many of the optional vegetables as possible for the vegetarian version. It may be possible that the requester is asking for this: http://www.congocookbook.com/chicken_recipes/chicken_in_peanut_tomato_sauce.html
Copyright © 2007 Epicurean.com
All rights reserved