Kati's glazed ham Recipe
Ingredients:- One large smoked Picnic Ham (8 to 10 lbs)
- 1 or 2 tsp powdered cloves
- 6 to 8 whole cloves
- 1/4 tsp English mustard (powder or reconstituted)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (approx.) jelly of your choice (red currant, apricot, apple.....) or apple juice
- 1 to 2 cups water
Directions:- Cut thick rind/skin from ham in one piece. Remove as much fat as possible from the bottom side.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the powdered cloves over underside of skin and then replace skin on ham
- Place ham, skin side down, in large baking dish and pour about 1 inch of water into dish to keep ham moist and to cook the skin
- Insert as many cloves as you want into the ham at regular intervals. (I don't like too many as I find the powdered cloves gives it a lovely taste as it is.)
- Cover with foil and bake about 2 hours at 325 to 350 F, basting once or twice
- Remove ham and spread glaze (see below) on top of ham with a spoon. Then bake at 400F uncovered for about 15 minutes or until glaze is bubbling and browning (caramelizing).
Glaze: Mix in a small bowl the remaining powdered cloves, English mustard (adjusted depending on how spicy you like your food), brown sugar and the jelly or juice. You just want to barely melt the sugar as the heat of the ham will soon spread it evenly.
Serve with potatoes that you boiled first and then finished cooking in the ham juices, sweet potato, green beans, cranberry jelly or apple sauce or any other fruit chutney...
This recipe is very easy to prepare and not only fool-proof but delicious. The cold ham lasts (if there is any left) for quite a while in the fridge. This is one of my Dad's favourite meals. ENJOY!
Copyright © 2007 Epicurean.com
All rights reserved