Meatloaf with baked tomatoes Recipe
Ingredients:2 lbs ground meat, equal parts beef, pork, and veal
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic mashed through a garlic press
1/2 cup bread crumbs
handful of parsley, chopped
10 large leaves fresh sage, chopped
1/2 t. salt
few grindings of pepper
1 large green pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced into 8 strips
3 or 4 fresh tomatoes cut into quarters
Directions:1. Combine: meat, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and herbs in a large bowl or Kithchenaide mixer. Mix together either with your hands, or if using mixer, with the paddle attachment till well combined.
2. Form meat mixture into a long mound in an shallow oval baking dish or roasting pan, leaving room around the edge for the tomato wedges.
3. Press pepper slices into top of loaf.
4. Place tomato wedges around edges of the loaf, inside baking dish.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about an hour and a half.
6. Before serving, skim as much of the fat from the juices in the pan as possible.
Serve with mashed potatoes and a wedge of baked tomato on each plate. A green vegetable on the side would be nice. Nutritious and relatively low in fat and salt. High in protein, B vitamins, and vitamin C.
This is a great comforting meal, which is very different from most dry, tasteless meatloaves. (No katsup needed or allowed!) The pepper and tomato which are cooked around the meat help seal in the juices and add an interesting and fresh flavor. Everyone loves this one. Makes great sandwiches if any is left over.
Copyright © 2007 Epicurean.com
All rights reserved